Tangy Short Ribs with Coleslaw and Twice-Baked Potatoes
- serves 4
4 12 oz portions short ribs, each cut into 3 inch lengths
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
3 clove garlic, smashed
2 sprig rosemary
2 sprig thyme
2 Tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup white wine
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
¾ cup brown sugar
4 cup beef stock
2 Tbsp black pepperColeslaw
½ medium cabbage, thinly sliced, about 5 cups
2 Tbsp salt
1 small carrot, grated
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp caraway seeds
Additional salt and pepper to tasteTwice Baked Potatoes
4 medium baking potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp chopped chives or green onions
1 cup grated cheese, Mozzarella, Edam, Monterey Jack...
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup cour cream plus extra chopped chives for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325. Add vegetable oil to large, wide heavy bottomed pot and bring to high heat.
2. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides until dark golden brown. Transfer seared ribs to a plate or tray.
3. In same pot, sweat onion, bay leaves, garlic, cloves, rosemary and thyme until lightly coloured, about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste and cook out, about 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with vinegar; add brown sugar and bring to simmer.
5. Add white wine, beef stock and pepper; bring to simmer. Skim. Place pot, loosely covered, in oven and braise until ribs are tender, about 1 hour.
6. Remove ribs, rosemary and thyme stems from braising liquid. Remove all but 3 cups and reduce volume by two thirds, skimming if necessary.
7. Sauce should be glaze consistency. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper; pour glaze over ribs and lightly toss to coat.Coleslaw
1. Salt cabbage; let drain in large colander for about 1 hour. Rinse and pat dry.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard and caraway seeds in medium pot. Stir over medium heat just until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.
3. Combine cabbage, carrots and dressing in a large bowl; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.Twice Baked Potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 400. Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil; arrange on tray and bake until center is tender, about 45 mintues.
2. When cool enough to handle, split potatoes in half; scoop out insides, reserving skins, and place in medium bowl. Roughly mash potato.
3. Add butter, chives, and half the amount of cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Carefully stuff filling back into potato skins and top with remaining cheese. Arrange on tray and bake again, until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
5. Garnish with sour cream and chopped chives, if desired.