Teriyaki Hawaiian Burgers with Papaya Salad
- prep time 20 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 4
1 ½ lb. or 675 g ground beef (90% lean)
3 green onions
1 cup bottled teriyaki sauce or marinade
1 can (14 oz / 398 mL) pineapple slices (reserve light syrup)
1 small onion
1 small papaya (approx 3/4 lb / 350 g)
1 small avocado (optional)
1 head lettuce
⅓ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup white sugar
¾ tsp dried mustard
¾ tsp salt
3 tsp papaya seeds (optional)
1 Tbsp cornstarch
½ cup reserved pineapple juice (from the can)
1 cup of teriyaki drippings
6 hamburger bunsSalad Dressing
1. Preheat oven 350° F. Shape meat into six thick patties and arrange in an oven-safe cake pan or casserole dish. Chop green onion and sprinkle over burgers. Pour teriyaki sauce over burgers.
2. Top each burger with one slice of pineapple. Bake in hot oven. Set timer for 50 minutes.
1. Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and papaya seeds in a small bowl. Let stand in fridge.
2. Combine cornstarch and (gradually stir in) pineapple juice in a small stove-top pot.
3. Stir until well blended and let stand.
4. When timer rings for burgers…
5. Add teriyaki drippings from pan, to the pineapple juice pot and bring to a boil.
6. Stir until thickened.
7. This sauce is to pour over the burger before putting the top of the bun on. You can still add all your favorite toppings to the burger, like ketchup, etc…but I like it just the way it is.
8. Drizzle the salad dressing all over salad and toss until coated.