Tex-Mex Shepherd Pie
- prep time 0 min
- total time 65 min
- serves 4
2 pounds Yukon Gold potato, peeled, (about 6)
¼ cup milk
¼ cup butter
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 carrot, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 sweet green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 pinch cayenne pepper
¾ cup bulgur
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 ½ cups vegetable stock
1 cup corn, kernels
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1. Cut potatoes into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks.
2. In saucepan of boiling water, cook potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender but not mushy; drain and mash.
3. Blend in milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) each of the salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
5. Add carrots, onion, green pepper, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
6. Add bulgur and flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
7. Gradually pour in stock.
8. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
9. Add corn and remaining salt and pepper.
10. Spread in 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish; spread mashed potatoes over top.
11. Sprinkle with parsley. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; reheat covered).
12. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until filling is bubbling.
13. Broil for 2 minutes or until light golden.