Thai Rice Pudding and Berry Coulis
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
½ cup red thai rice (125 ml)
½ cup long-grain white rice (125 ml)
4 cups water (1L)
3 cups homogenized milk (625 ml)
1 cup coconut milk (250 ml)
½ cup 10% cream (125 ml)
¼ teaspoon salt (1 ml)
6 teaspoons brown sugar (120 ml)
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1 teaspoon liquid pure vanilla (15 ml)
1 tablespoon lemon rind, shredded (15 ml)Berry Coulis
5 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
1 cup of water (250 ml)
1. In a large heavy sauce pan, combine red thai rice, long-grain white rice, sugar, 3 cups of water, 2 cups of milk and salt. Bring to a simmer over low heat and allow to cook for ½ hour, until half the liquid has evaporated.
2. Continue to stir throughout the cooking process. Add 1 additional cup of milk and one cup of coconut milk and continue to cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes. Once mixture has thickened add cream, ½ tbsp. lemon rind and raisins and cook until mixture is thick and creamy (about 15 minutes). Add more sugar if needed.
3. Stir throughout the cooking process to prevent rice from sticking to the sauce pan. Do not over cook or rice will take on an oatmeal consistency. Once cooked remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Add vanilla and stir.
4. Garnish with additional lemon rind and drizzling raspberry coolie.Berry Coulis
1. In a food processor add water and raspberries and process until pureed. Pass through a sieve or colander. Set sieved fruit aside until needed.
2. In a small sauce pan heat water and sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add sieved raspberries to the mix and simmer until mixture becomes slightly thickened. Take off heat and cook and use as a topping .