The Sushi Burrito
- serves 1
Don't limit sushi to eating out at restaurants! You can make your own unique version at home, all rolled into a burrito of nori and stuffed with your favourite traditional Japanese ingredients.
4 - 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
2 ½ cups rice flour, plus 1/2 cup for dredging
2 cups seltzer water, ice cubes added
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp salt
2 large shrimps, cleaned
1 pkg tofu, cut into strips
2 sheets dried nori
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 cups cooked white rice
2 leaves kale
½ cup red cabbage, shredded
½ cup carrot, peeled and shredded
½ cup kimchi
½ cucumber, shredded
1. Preheat oil gradually to 375ºF (190ºC).
2. In a medium bowl add together the 2 ½ cups flour and water, whisk until smooth. Next add egg yolks and salt and whisk well.
3. Take the clean shrimp and tofu strips and dredge through the flour. Tap off any excess flour. One at a time dip them into the tempura; making sure it’s completely covered. Deep-fry one at a time until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove and place on paper towel. Repeat until all the shrimp and tofu have been fried.
4. Place the nori sheets shiny side down onto the sushi mat. Make sure the mat is lying horizontal. Overlap the nori sheets to make one large nori sheet. Seal them together by brushing a bit of vinegar onto the sheet where it’s overlapping.
5. Now take the cooked rice and spread it evenly on the nori, leaving about a 1/2 –inch from the top. Place on top the tempura shrimp and tofu, kale, red cabbage, carrot, kimchi, cucumber, and a drizzle of hot sauce. Place your thumbs underneath the mat, and roll the mat away from you. Curve the mat around the centre filling and lightly press down. While pressing down pull back on the mat to tighten your burrito. Continue rolling until you get to the top of the nori. Reapply vinegar as needed to keep the burrito together.
6. Place on a platter and serve with pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce.