The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- serves 4
This is, by far, the best grilled cheese sandwich I’ve ever had. I hope you’ll agree. Pancetta is Italian bacon and you can get it at Italian food stores and upscale meat markets. Yield is 4 servings.
3 Tbsp butter, softened
½ lb(s) mushrooms, your favorite kind, sliced thinly
Coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper
1 ½ Tbsp chopped fresh sage
8 slices country bread
⅓ lb(s) fontina cheese, grated
4 thin slices grilled pancetta
1. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp. of the butter on medium heat.
2. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper.
3. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the fresh sage.
5. Put the mushrooms in a bowl and wipe out the pan.
6. Butter one side of four slices of bread with the softened butter.
7. Put them buttered side down on a cutting board.
8. Top the unbuttered top of the bread with 1/2 the amount of cheese, then the pancetta and then mushrooms.
9. Top with the remaining cheese
10. Butter one side of the remaining bread slices.
11. Place on top of the cheese buttered side up.
12. Heat the frying pan on medium-low heat.
13. Add the sandwiches and cook, turning once, until golden and the cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.