Tofu Skewers With Walnut Pesto
- serves 6
1 pkg firm tofu, cut into 12 lengths
wooden skewers, soaked
2 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 egg white
⅓ cup sesame seedsWalnut Pesto
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup fresh Thai basil loosely packed
½ cup parsley, loosely packed
¾ tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp finely minced ginger
zest and juice of 1 orange
⅓ cup olive oil
1. Skewer each length of tofu with a soaked skewer.
2. In a flat dish whisk garlic, soy and rice vinegar. Swirl tofu skewers to coat, then cover and chill for 1 to 6 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400 °F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
4. Whisk egg white until foamy. Pat excess marinade off tofu skewers and brush with egg white. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and place on prepared tray. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn skewers over and bake 5 minutes more.
5. Serve skewers warm or at room temperature with Walnut Pesto.Walnut Pesto
1. Lightly toast walnut pieces in a sauté pan. Toss until browned slightly, about 5 minutes. Cool.
2. Pulse walnut pieces in a food processor with Thai basil, parsley and salt. Add garlic, ginger, orange zest and juice, and pulse again. Add olive oil in a thin stream while running processor. Chill but pull out of fridge an hour before serving.