Tony Gemignani's 1st Place Pizza Margherita Recipe
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 0
½ tsp fresh cake yeast
1 cup warm water
1 cup ice cold water
6 cup flour
1 Tbsp fine sea saltPizza Margherita
1 portion Neapolitan pizza dough
¼ cup San Marzano DOP tomatoes (hand crushed/de-seed)
fresh mozzarella Fior Di Latte, squeezed to release moisture then drained on paper towels
3 fresh basil leaves
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (from the Campania region of Italy)
sea salt (fine)
1. In a small bowl using a fork stir the yeast into the one cup warm water then set aside for five minutes.
2. In a larger stainless bowl add the flour and make a well in the center, then add the yeast and warm water mixture plus the one cup ice cold water.
3. Quickly incorporate the ingredients using a large stainless or wooden spoon.
4. After two minutes of mixing, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface preferably granite, marble, or stainless steel table.
5. Knead the dough for approximately 10 - 12 minutes until smooth. Add only a minimal amount of flour to the surface to prevent sticking. (The dough should be slightly sticky and tacky. This is ok).
6. Cut the dough into fifths to form five even portions weighing approx 10 oz. each. Pick up one portion of dough and pull, tuck, and round each dough until smooth and forms a ball.
7. Place each portion into a one-gallon plastic lock top bag and seal.
8. Place flat onto surface into refrigerator for nine hours then take out and let rest covered and sealed at room temperature for two to three hours before use.Pizza Margherita
1. Position an oven rack in the upper third position of your oven and place the baking stone on the rack. Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.
2. Remove the dough from the bag, dust with flour and hand stretch your dough into a 12 -13 inch circle.
3. Dust a pizza peel with flour and place your dough onto the peel.
4. To top the pizza spread the pizza sauce evenly leaving a one inch border. Pinch and evenly distribute some sea salt over the top of the sauce. Distribute the slices of mozzarella evenly over the top. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the cheese.
5. Give the peel a gentle shake back and forth and place you pizza onto the baking stone and cook for eight and ten minutes or until brown.
6. Using the peel, remove the pizza from the oven and transfer to cutting board.
7. Tear the basil leaves over the top of the pizza and slice pizza into six slices. As you eat, fold each slice then eat.