Tortellini Soup with Whole Wheat Bread and Caesar Salad
- serves 4
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1 Large Stalk of Celery
1 30 oz Large Tetrapak Chicken Broth (900 ml)
1 24 oz Jar Pasta Sauce (680 ml)
tsp Prepared Garlic (In a jar)
tsp Mrs. Dash Italian Seasoning
2 cup Frozen Mixed Veggies
1 cup Water
1 tsp chili flakes (If you like foods with a little extra kick add 1 tsp chili flakes water)
4 - 5 cups Tri Colour Fresh Cheese Tortellini
8 oz Caesar Salad Kit (227 gms)
tsp Olive Oil
4 -6 Slices Whole Grain Bread or Dinner Rolls
1. Take out equipment and ingredients the night before.
2. Chop onion and celery finely adding to crockpot as you cut.
3. Add to pot in this order; chicken broth, pasta sauce, garlic, spice, vegetables and water.
4. Add the water to the empty jar of sauce, give it a shake and then add it to the pot. Stir together, cover and store overnight in the fridge.
5. In the morning: Return centre pot with cover to the outer crock and set at low heat.
6. When you get home for dinner: Boil water in a stove-top pot on high heat.
7. Add tortellini to the pot and cook for 6-8 minutes. Check package directions for cooking time.
8. Meanwhile: Transfer lettuce to a salad bowl. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Add croutons.
9. When tortellini is ready, drain water and toss with olive oil. Ladle tortellini into bottom of soup bowls. Ladle hot soup over tortellini in bowls. Note: It's a nice touch to sprinkle low-fat Parmesan on top of each bowl of soup, just before serving.
10. Serve with whole grain bread or dinner rolls.