Tourtiere with Tomato Jam and Pickled Vegetables
- prep time 0 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 6
1 ½ pounds venison chops, meat separated from bones and diced
1 ½ pounds veal chops, separated from bones and diced
1 cup all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ cup olive oil
3 slices of bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups red wine
2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 carrot, diced
1 plum tomato, diced
4 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chanterelle mushrooms
6 cipollini onions
7 cups veal stock
600 grams (2 sheets) store bought puff pastry, thawed and cool
1 egg, whisked
1 tablespoon waterPickled Vegetables
½ cup vinegar
1 cup water
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup salt
1 beet, peeled and thinly sliced using a mandolin
1 carrot, thinly sliced into rounds using a mandolin
¼ teaspoon caraway seedsAssembly
1 tablespoon tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon parsley leavesTomato Jam
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 14 ounce can of whole tomatoes, drained
¼ cup vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 sprig of thyme
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place 6, Le Creuset Rectangular 0.5 Litre Dishes on a baking tray.
3. Place venison and veal bones in a Le Creuset Stainless Steel Roasting Pan. Roast in oven until brown, approximately 30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, add flour, season diced meat with salt and pepper and coat in flour.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large Le Creuset French Oven. In batches, sauté until golden. Remove and set aside. Brown remaining meat in batches with remaining olive oil. Set aside for assembly of Tourtiere.
6. Place bacon in the same French Oven over medium heat. Cook until crisp and fat has rendered, approximately 3 minutes.
7. Add onions and garlic to bacon, sauté until golden.
8. In 3 stages, deglaze with red wine and reduce until evaporated, reserving ½ cup of wine.
9. Add potatoes, carrot, tomato, thyme, bay leaves, browned diced meat, roasted bones and 6 cups of stock to pot, stir.
10. Deglaze roasting pan from roasted bones with remaining wine, add to pot, stir and simmer.
11. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add chanterelles, season with salt and pepper. Sauté until golden, add to pot.
12. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the same sauté pan. Add cipollini onions, sauté until golden brown. Add remaining veal stock, stir and simmer until onions are tender, approximately 10 minutes. Add to pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until meat is tender, skimming occasionally, approximately 2 hours.
13. Remove bones, bay leaves and thyme.
14. Ladle stew 1 cm below the top of oven proof dishes.
15. Whisk water and egg together.
16. On a floured surface, roll out pastry ¼ inch thick. Cut out 6 pieces of pastry to cover tops of oven proof dishes. Adding an extra inch around the pastry.
17. Brush edges of dishes with egg wash. Centre pastry over stew; gently press excess pastry to dishes.
18. Brush pastry with egg wash, poke holes for steam to escape and bake until golden, puffed and filling is bubbling, approximately 30 minutes.Pickled Vegetables
1. Place vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Place beets and carrots in individual bowls. Add equal amounts of caraway seeds to each bowl.
3. Divide and pour hot pickling liquid over beets and carrots. Toss and place in fridge to cool, approximately ½ hour.Assembly
1. Place Tourtiere on the right hand side of each plate.
2. Spoon 2 tablespoons of Tomato Jam in centre of plate.
3. Place ¼ cup of Pickled Vegetables beside Tomato Jam, garnish with parsley and tarragon leaves, serve.Tomato Jam
1. Heat olive oil in a small pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and garlic, sauté until golden and tender.
3. Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and thyme. Season with salt and stir.
4. Cook until liquid has evaporated and tomatoes are shiny, approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Remove thyme sprig and place in a blender, puree until smooth. Set aside for assembly.