Trout and Eggs
- prep time 60 min
- total time 105 min
- serves 4 servings
8 slices applewood smoked bacon
1 cup (250 mL) yellow onion, diced
2 cups (500 mL) purple potatoes, peeled and 1/2-inch diced
2 fillets smoked trout, (each about 8 oz/227 g), skinned and flaked
¼ cup (60 mL) Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
4 fillets fresh trout (each about 6 oz/171 g), seasoning on both sides with salt and pepper
1 tablespoon (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
4 extra large eggsShallot-Chived Beurre Blanc & Assembly
¼ cup (60 mL) white wine
¼ cup (60 mL) white wine vinegar
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons (30 mL) heavy (35% MF) cream
½ cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 tablespoon (15 mL) chives, finely chopped
2 teaspoons (10 mL) lemon juice
salt and pepper
1. In a large skillet set over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 15 minutes, then transfer to paper towelling to absorb grease, crumble and set aside.
2. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from skillet, add onions and cook until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add potatoes, cover, and continue cooking until fork-tender, about 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if potatoes begin to stick.
4. Gently fold in smoked trout, parsley and reserved bacon and cook until warmed through.
5. Meanwhile, in another large skillet set over medium heat, melt butter, then add fresh trout filets skin-side-down and pan roast until edges of fish start to turn white, about 5 minutes. Gently turn filets over and cook 5 minutes more. Hold in a low oven until ready to serve.
6. Fry eggs “sunny side up” in a non-stick skillet set over medium heat, cooking just until white has set, about 3 minutes.Shallot-Chived Beurre Blanc & Assembly
1. In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, add wine, vinegar and shallots and cook until reduced by half.
2. Stir in cream, reduce heat to low, then whisk in butter a few pieces at a time until completely emulsified.
3. Stir in chives and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. To Plate: Divide beurre blanc among 4 warmed dinner plates, top with hash, then filet, then top with dill and parsley sprigs before adding egg. Serve immediately.