Tuna Casserole with Rice and Caesar Salad
- serves 6
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
¼ tsp pepper
1 can mushroom liquid (10 oz / 284 ml)Tuna Casserole
¾ cup stoned wheat thins
1 can solid tuna in water (170 g)
1 cup frozen baby peas
Mushrooms (reserved from sauce)
1-1/2 cups of basmati rice
3 cup waterCesar Salad
1 head of lettuce
3 Tbsp gourmet cesar salad dressing
3 Tbsp lowest fat mayonnaise
1 Tbsp bacon pieces from a jar (optional)
¼ cup croutons (optional)
1. Melt butter in a stove-top fry pan then remove from heat. Whisk in flour and pepper until smooth.
2. Drain liquid from the can of mushrooms into a 2 cup measuring cup, top up with milk to equal 2 cups of liquid combined.
3. Whisk liquid gradually into flour mixture. Return to heat. Stir constantly until slightly thick. Remove from heat.Tuna Casserole
1. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Crush crackers in your hands and cover bottom of casserole dish. Drain and discard tuna water.
2. Layer ingredients over crackers in this order; tuna, peas, mushrooms and cream sauce. Crumble another layer of crackers over top.
3. Cover and place in hot oven. Set timer for 35 minutes.Rice
1. While casserole is cooking combine rice and water in a microwave-safe pot or casserole dish with lid.
2. Cover and microwave at high 10 minutes, then medium 10 minutes. Let stand.Cesar Salad
1. Tear lettuce in bite size pieces directly into salad spinner. Rinse and spin dry.
2. Blend together dressing with mayonnaise in a small cup.
3. Set out Real bacon bits and croutons. Each person can toss and coat their own salad leaves directly on their individual plates.