Turkey, Sweet Potato and Bean Chili
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp chili powder
tsp each ground cumin and coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 ½ cup chicken stock
1 can each of black and red kidney beans
salt and freshly ground pepperTex Mex Pita Crisps
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Tex Mex spice blend
¼ tsp garlic powder
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up well with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, onions and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add seasonings, from the chili powder to the red pepper flakes, if using, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juice and the chicken broth. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover the pan, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, rinse and drain the beans. Set aside.
3. Remove the cover, stir in the beans and simmer mixture until the potatoes are completely tender and the chili has thickened, about 20 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve chili in bowls and allow each person to choose their own garnishes from the chili bar.
Chili Bar: chopped chives, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar, low-fat sour cream, hot pepper sauce & pita crisps. (See Tex Mex Pita Crisps recipe)
Tip:You could use pinto beans, white kidney beans or even chick peas as substitutes for the black and red kidney beans.
Tex Mex Pita Crisps
1. Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C. Cut each pita into 6 wedges. Open each wedge to form 2 triangles, resulting in a total of 24 pieces.
2. Lay pita triangles on a baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Tex Mex spice and garlic powder. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from oven and cool. Serve.
Tip: If making pita crisps ahead, once they are completely cooled, they can be stored in a sealed plastic bag for several days
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site