Two Potato, Three Canadian Cheese Gratin
- prep time 20 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 4-6
6 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
1 Tbsp (15 ml) butter
2 clove minced cloves garlic
2 cup (500 ml) thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme leaves
2 Tbsp (30 ml) whole-grain mustard
1 ½ cup (375 ml) 35 % whipping cream
1 lb. (450 g) sweet potatoes
1 lb. (450 g) Yukon Gold potatoes
½ cup (125 ml) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan
½ cup (125 ml) grated Canadian Asiago
½ cup (125 ml) grated Canadian Gouda cheese
2 Tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Lightly butter an 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish.
2. In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon, until crisp. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Drain off fat from skillet, reserving brown bits; reduce heat to medium and melt butter. Add garlic and leeks; cook stirring often for about 3 to 5 min or until slightly softened. Remove from heat; season with thyme and stir in mustard and cream; set aside.
3. Peel and thinly slice potatoes about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick and place one-third into prepared dish; sprinkle with half of the reserved bacon. Spoon half of the leek mixture over top. Repeat layer of potatoes, bacon, and leek mixture. Top with remaining potatoes.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 to 50 min or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife. Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese; bake for 8 to 10 min or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
5. Let stand for 5 min before serving. Sprinkle with chives.
6. Make/bake ahead and reheat for foolproof entertaining.
7. Cut leeks in half and wash well. A mandolin or food processor makes thin, even potato slices. To make slicing easier, cut potatoes in half crosswise and place flat edge down on mandolin. Make individual gratins in six ' 1 cup (250 mL) buttered ramekins, place ramekins on baking tray to catch any overflow and for easy placement in oven.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site