Vegan Baked Chocolate Almond Doughnuts
- prep time 25 min
- total time 41 min
- serves NULL
1 3/10 cup pure cane sugar
1 cup pure pumpkin puree or sweet potato puree
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
5 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pure almond extract
3 cup all-purpose flour
7/10 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp saltGlaze
2 cup vegan chocolate chips
¼ cup virgin coconut oil
sliced almonds, lightly toasted, for decor
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, pumpkin or sweet potato puree, almond milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla and almond extracts together. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and then stir this into the wet mixture until evenly blended. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to ¾-inch thickness. Cut out doughnuts with a 3-inch cutter and cut holes in the centre of each doughnut (the holes can be re-rolled with remaining dough or baked as doughnut holes.) Place the doughnuts onto the prepared baking tray and bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until they just begin to colour on the bottom. Cool the doughnuts completely before glazing.Glaze
1. For the glaze, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a metal bowl placed over a pot of gently simmering water, stirring until melted. Cool the chocolate down until it has thickened to a glaze consistency and then dip the doughnuts in and return to the tray. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and let the chocolate set for 30 minutes before serving.
2. Doughnuts are best enjoyed the day they are made.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site