Vegetable Lasagna with Homemade Pasta and Jalapeno Bechamel
- prep time 30 min
- total time 150 min
- serves 4
4 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
6-7 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon saltRoasted Squash Filling
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into a large dice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
salt and pepperJalapeno Bechamel
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp all purpose flour
4 cups milk
3 jalapenos, cut in ½, seeds removed and mashed in a mortar and pestleVegetable Lasagna
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed by hands
10 sheets sheets of pasta (from Homemade Pasta recipe)
1 bunch rapini, bottoms trimmed, blanched in salted water and roughly chopped
Roasted Squash Filling
2 cups ricotta
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup whole sage leaves, for garnish
1. Place flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in centre with hands. Place eggs in centre of well and gently incorporate eggs into flour.
2. Dust a clean working surface with flour, remove dough from bowl and knead for approximately 5 minutes until dough becomes smooth. Shape dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for ½ an hour, maximum 48 hours.
3. Place a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil.
4. Dust a clean working surface with flour, remove dough from fridge, divide into 5 equal pieces and cover with plastic wrap to prevent dough from drying out.
5. With a pasta machine, roll each piece of dough out into long thin pieces, place on a tray and dust with flour.
6. Repeat with remaining dough, dusting pasta with flour in between layers to prevent them from sticking to one another. Trim sheets to fit baking dish if necessary.
7. Place remaining olive oil on a large baking tray. Cook pasta in salted, water, remove gently, place on tray, cover in oil to prevent from sticking and set aside.Roasted Squash Filling
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place squash in a bowl, coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast squash in oven for approximately 45 minutes until squash has become tender and caramelized, turning over ½ way through cooking.
4. Remove from oven, place in a large bowl, mash slightly and set aside.
5. Heat remaining olive oil in a sauté pan over medium to high heat, add onions and garlic, sauté until golden brown.
6. Add butter, allow to melt, add sage, stir, remove from heat. Add to roasted squash, season with salt and pepper, gently fold and set aside.Jalapeno Bechamel
1. Melt butter in a small pot over medium heat.
2. Add flour, stir with a wooden spoon incorporating flour into butter until a paste consistency is achieved.
3. Add milk slowly and stir to incorporate, removing all lumps.
4. Once mixture thickens, add mashed jalapeno, season with salt and set aside.Vegetable Lasagna
1. Preheat oven to 350F, oil a 9x13 baking dish.
2. To assemble, layer tomatoes, sheets of Homemade Pasta, Jalapeno Béchamel, chopped rapini, Roasted Squash Filling, ricotta, then sprinkle with Parmesan. Finish with a layer of Jalapeno Béchamel and place whole sage leaves on top submerging them in sauce.
3. Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes, then broil for an additional 5 minutes until Jalapeno Béchamel becomes golden brown.