1 onion, chopped
4 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
1 can (540 mL) canned bean medley, rinsed
1 can (796 mL) canned diced tomatoes, with juices
1 cup (250 mL) corn, frozen
1 lime, juiced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
2 tsp (10 mL) paprika powder
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
2 cup (500 mL) tomato juice
1 ½ cup (375 mL) textured vegetable protein
4 piece green onion, chopped
1. In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic in vegetable oil until translucent.
2. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, lime juice, chili powder, jalapeño, paprika, salt and tomato juice. Mix thoroughly.
3. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Stir and reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Simmer while covered for about 20 minutes.
5. Stir in textured vegetable protein and allow to cook for 3 – 5 more minutes. Season to taste. An additional ½ cup (125 mL) of water can be added if chili is too thick.
6. Stir in green onion. Season to taste.