Walnut Caraway Crisps with Apple Butter, Pickled Celery, Apple Slaw and Cloth Bound Cheddar
- prep time 1 min
- total time 155 min
- serves 25
6 -7 Empire apples, peeled, cored and sliced
6 cup apple cider
1 ½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 ½ cup brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
saltWalnut Caraway Crisps
1 cup all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out dough
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
4 tsp walnuts, crushed
1 tsp caraway seeds
¼ cup warm water, plus 1-2 tbsp if needed
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp fennel
1 star anise
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
½ cup white vinegar
4 stalks celery, sliced ¼ inch thick, reserving leaves from celery heart for garnishApple Slaw
1 granny smith apple, julienned
1 tsp truffle honey
Walnut Caraway Crisp
3/10 cup Cloth Bound Cheddar, Shaved
picked celery heart leaves
1. Place all ingredients in a medium, wide-based sauce pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, stirring bottom of pot constantly. Cook until apple mixture has thickened and reduced to ¼ the original amount, approximately 1-1½ hours.
2. Remove from heat, place apple mixture in a blender, puree until smooth, strain through a fine sieve and set aside for assembly.Walnut Caraway Crisps
1. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375F.
2. Place flours, crushed walnuts, and caraway seeds in a stand mixer. Using a dough hook, add water slowly. Knead on low speed until dough comes together, approximately 3 minutes, adding extra warm water to mixer if dough is too dry.
3. Remove dough from mixer, cover with plastic wrap and rest dough for 25-30 minutes.
4. Dust a clean dry surface and dough with flour. Using a pasta machine, begin at the widest setting, roll dough to approximately 2mm thin. Gently place rolled dough on parchment lined tray.
5. Brush with olive oil, season with salt and bake until golden and crisp. Rotate tray ½ way through baking. Approximately 12 minutes.
6. Once cool, break into bite size pieces.Pickled Celery
1. Place spices in a piece of cheesecloth, tie to create a pouch and place in a small pot.
2. Add sugar, water and vinegar to pot, bring mixture to a boil.
3. Remove from heat, add celery, refrigerate until cool and celery is crisp, approximately 20 minutes.
4. Strain celery, set aside for assembling Apple Slaw. Discard pickling liquid.Apple Slaw
1. Before serving, place julienned apple, Pickled Celery and truffle honey in a bowl. Season and mix to combine.Assembly
1. Spoon a dollop of Apple Butter on Walnut Caraway Crisps, followed by the Apple Slaw. Top with shaved Cloth Bound Cheddar and picked celery heart leaves.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site