Walnut, Fig and Brie Tart with Pear Sauce
- serves 1
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
⅓ cup lightly toasted and ground walnuts
2 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 egg, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water, for egg wash
¾ cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
3 Tbsp cold waterFilling
1 ¼ cup walnut halves
7 Tbsp honey
½ cup ricotta cheese
6 oz brie cheese, (triple crème is best!)
12 fresh figPear Sauce
2 ripe pear
4 Tbsp honey
1 vanilla bean
½ cup white wineTo Assemble
1. Combine flour, walnuts, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until the texture of coarse meal. Add 3 tablespoons cold water and mix just until dough comes together. If needed, add up to 1 more tbsp. Wrap and chill for an hour before rolling.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Line a 9-inch tart shell with crust and trim edges.
4. Line tart crust with foil and weigh down with dried beans or rice. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove weights and foil and bake for 10 minutes more. Allow to cool.Filling
1. Toss walnuts in 2 tbsp honey and spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes and let cool.
2. Mix together ricotta and brie. Spread over the bottom of the tart shell.
3. Cut figs into quarters and arrange, flesh-side up around tart. Sprinkle walnut halves over figs. Bake tart for 10 - 12 minutes, just to melt the cheese and warm the figs. While warm, drizzle remaining honey over tart.Pear Sauce
1. Peel and dice pears, and cook with honey, scraped seeds from vanilla bean and wine until tender, about 15 minutes. Puree and strain sauce. Chill before serving.To Assemble
1. Serve tart warm or at room temperature. Spoon sauce on the side of a slice of tart.