2 beef marrow bones
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 parsnips, peeled and 1/2-inch sliced, approx. 2 1/2 cups
1 small celery root, leaves reserved, peeled, halved and 1/2-inch sliced, approx. 1 cup
1 ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
reserved marrow bone drippings
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 cup baby squid, thawed, halved and patted dry
reserved celery root leaves, loosely chopped, approx. 1 cup
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. Place marrow bones in a small baking dish and let roast in oven for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and transfer to rack to cool. Reserve excess drippings by pouring into a small bowl.
4. Once bones have cooled, scoop out as much marrow as possible into a medium bowl using a small spoon.
5. Add remaining vinaigrette ingredients to bowl and whisk everything together. Set aside for now.
1. Place the first 8 ingredients into a medium bowl and toss until well-coated.
2. Put root vegetable mixture into a medium-sized baking dish and roast in the pre-heated oven until they begin to caramelize, about 15-18 minutes.
3. While those are roasting, heat the canola oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
4. Add the squid to the pan and cook until slightly browned, turning over once, approximately 3-4 minutes.
5. Set on top of paper towel to absorb any excess grease and then place into a medium serving dish.
6. Remove vegetables from oven and add to the serving dish along with chopped celery root leaves.
7. To serve: Pour vinaigrette over squid and vegetable mixture, tossing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm.