Watermelon, Cucumber and Feta Salad
- serves 4 - 5
Recipe by Dan Clapson using a mystery ingredient - watermelon - from a Chopped Canada challenge. See the full post here.
3 Tbsp canola oil
6 slices chorizo, quarteredPickled Watermelon Rind
⅔ cup white vinegar
⅓ cup water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp pickling spice
2 cloves garlic
⅓ cup watermelon rinds, dicedWatermelon Vinaigrette
1 cup watermelon flesh, 1-inch cubed
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh basil, roughly chopped
2 tsp liquid honey
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
reserved oil from Fried ChorizoSalad
4 cups watermelon flesh, 1-inch cubed
1 long English cucumber, 1/2-inch cubed
½ cup feta cheese, 1/2-inch cubed
¼ cup fresh basil, torn
1 tsp ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a large pan on medium-high heat until very hot.
2. Add chorizo to the pan and let fry until crispy, approximately 1 minute.
3. Transfer to paper towel to absorb any excess grease and to let cool.
4. Reserve remaining oil from pan.Pickled Watermelon Rind
1. Place all ingredients except rind in a small pot and bring to a simmer on high heat.
2. In a heat safe bowl, pour hot liquid over chopped rind and let sit for 15 minutes.
3. Discard ¾ of liquid, transfer to a container and let chill in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the salad.Watermelon Vinaigrette
1. Place all ingredients except oil in a blender and purée on high until very smooth.
2. Continue to blend while slowly pouring in reserved oil from frying chorizo.
3. Transfer to a bowl and set aside for now.Salad
1. Place all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl along with the pickled watermelon rinds.
2. Add desired amount of watermelon vinaigrette (approximately ½ to ⅔ cup) and toss gently until well-coated.
3. Top with fried chorizo and serve immediately.