Wild Fennel Bison Burger
- serves 6 - 8
Courtesy of Mike Mulcahy of Big Feast Bistro.
5 ⅓ oz pickled banana peppers
2 ¼ Tbsp applesauce
3 tsp agave syrupGoat Cheese Aioli
3 egg yolks
⅔ Tbsp Dijon mustard
⅓ Tbsp coarse salt
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp white pepper
2 oz goat cheese, crumbledCrab Mix
5 ¼ oz crab, chopped
3 stalks green onion, chopped on a bias
¼ tsp white pepper
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
½ tsp coarse salt
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
½ tsp Sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce)Caramelized Onions
1 onion, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp coarse salt
½ tsp coarse pepperBison Burgers
26 ½ oz ground bison
¼ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
¼ tsp coarse pepper
½ tsp coarse salt
1 tsp thyme, chopped
½ tsp ground fennel, toastedAssembly
6 - 8 oz Havarti cheese, sliced
12 - 16 slices uncooked bacon
6 - 8 Portuguese buns
1 Tbsp Banana Pepper Jam
2 Tbsp Goat Cheese Aioli
1. In a food processor, blend together banana peppers, applesauce, and agave syrup until smooth; set jam aside until assembly.Goat Cheese Aioli
1. To make mayonnaise for the aioli, add egg yolks, Dijon mustard, and coarse salt to a food processor; process for 1 minute, until fully combined.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together vegetable oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, white pepper and 4 tablespoons of cold water. While the food processor is running, add mixture in a steady stream and process until mayonnaise thickens.
3. Divide mixture in half; set one half aside for crab mixture. Stir goat cheese into to the remaining mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate until assembly.Crab Mix
1. In a medium bowl, mix together 4 tablespoons of the reserved mayonnaise, crab, green onions, white pepper, coarse salt, lemon juice and Sriracha sauce; stir well until combined. Cover and refrigerate until assembly.Caramelized Onions
1. Heat a large pot over high heat; add onions, vegetable oil, coarse salt, and coarse pepper to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. If onions stick, remove pot from heat for 5 minutes to allow onions to release, then stir and cook over lowered heat until onions are golden brown.Bison Burgers
1. In a large bowl, mix together bison, caramelized onions, breadcrumbs, eggs, garlic, coarse pepper, coarse salt, thyme, and fennel.
2. Divide mixture into 6 to 8 patties, depending on your preference.Assembly
1. Preheat grill.
2. Grill patties for 4-5 minutes; flip and top patties with 1 oz of the crab mix and 1 oz of Havarti.
3. Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, or until burger juices run clear; while burgers cook, grill bacon until crisp and toast Portuguese buns.
4. Once buns are toasted, spread 1 Tbsp of reserved Banana Pepper Jam on the top bun; spread 2 Tbsp of the Goat Cheese Aioli on the bottom bun.
5. Add patty to the bun, top with 2 slices of bacon and serve.