Wild Mushroom Ravioli with Pecorino and Lemon Thyme Cream Sauce
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
1 Tbsp olive oil (15ml)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter (30ml)
1 Tbsp garlic, finely minced (15ml)
2 Tbsp shallots, finely chopped (30ml)
1 ½ lb. fresh mushrooms approximately 5 cups (1250g) (try oyster, shiitake, Cremini, button, Chanterelle, etc.) chopped small (675g)
2 oz brandy (60ml)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (15ml)
Salt and pepper to taste + salt for pasta water
2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped finely (30ml)
tsp fresh thyme, stripped (10ml)
2 Tbsp fresh basil, roughly chopped (30ml)
2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped finely (15ml)
1 Tbsp water (15ml)
8 sheet of fresh pasta 16 inches by 4 inches (406mm x 102mm)Lemon Thyme Cream Sauce
1 Tbsp unsalted butter (15ml)
½ small shallot
½ white wine (125ml)
¾ cup whipping cream (180ml)
tsp fresh thyme leaves (10ml)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (15ml)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 oz Pecorino cheese to garnish (60g)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and allow the butter to heat until it is slightly frothy. Add the garlic and shallots.
2. Cook stirring constantly until the garlic begins to give off its aroma. Add the mushrooms.
3. Cook the mushrooms until they become tender and release their juices. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are golden brown and most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
4. Add the brandy and lemon juice. Allow to cook 1 minute. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow them to cool slightly.
5. Once the mushrooms have cooled, add the parsley, thyme, basil and chives. Mix well and taste the mixture to check if more salt and pepper are needed
6. Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk until slightly frothy. Add one tablespoon of water, mix well and reserve.
7. Place 2 pasta sheets down on a clean surface, one on top of the other. Use a sharp knife to cut the pasta sheets into 3 equal squares. Remove the top squares.
8. Place approximately 2 tablespoons (30ml) of filling in the center of the pasta leaving a 1/2 inch (13mm) border around the filling. Dip a pastry brush into the egg wash mixture and paint the egg wash around the border of the pasta. Take an unused reserved square of the pasta dough and top the square. Using your finger tips, gently press out any air bubbles. Use the tines of a fork to gently press around the edges of the ravioli and seal the dough together. Repeat the same process with the remaining filling and pasta.
9. Place a large pot of water to boil. Add a good amount of salt to the water. Gently place the pasta in the water and allow the pasta to cook for approximately 2-3 minutes. Do not over crowd the pot of water - you may have to do it in small batches. Fresh pasta takes considerably less time than dried to cook so watch it carefully.
10. Drain the pasta in a colander. Serve hot with Lemon thyme cream sauce.
11. If you are making the pasta ahead of time, run it under cold water until fully chilled. Drizzle with olive oil to ensure the pasta does not stick together. Place pasta on an oiled tray and cover with plastic wrap. When ready to use drop into boiling water for 1 minute and drain.Lemon Thyme Cream Sauce
1. In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon (15ml) of butter over medium heat. Add the chopped shallot and cook, stirring often until the shallot is translucent. About 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the wine to the sautéed shallot pot. Cook over high heat until the wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and the thyme and turn down the heat to a simmer.
3. Cook until approximately one cup (250ml) remains, this will take approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the sauce to a blender and blend for 20 seconds to froth it up.
5. For a dish like this it is a nice touch to warm up your serving plates/bowls before serving. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (93 degrees C) and warm your dishes in the oven before plating. Be sure to warn your guests that their plates are warm.
6. To plate the dish divide all the ravioli onto 6 plates. Cover each plate with sauce and garnish with pecorino shavings.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site