4 to 6 cups chicken stock
wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
onion, finely chopped
Parmesan cheese, grated salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. In a medium pot on medium heat, bring stock to a simmer.
2. In a frying pan on medium-high heat, sauté the mushrooms in oil until tender and then set aside.
3. In the same frying pan on medium-high heat sauté the onions and garlic, stirring constantly until onions are translucent.
4. Reduce heat to medium, add the rice and cook for about 2 minutes. (You don't want to brown the rice, just coat it with the oil.)
5. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed, then pour in the simmering stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the stock is absorbed. (This step will take about 20 minutes, and the rice will be tender but firm to the bite.)
6. Once the rice is almost ready, stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese. Just before serving, add the sautéed mushrooms. (Adding the mushrooms in the last stage prevents the risotto from turning grayish in color.) Season with salt and pepper. Top with more Parmesan if desire.