Wilted Spinach with Indian Paneer Cheese
- prep time 20 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 4
¼ cup butter
1 Tbsp cumin seed
1 onion peeled and chopped
4 clove garlic, minced
2 lb. baby spinach, washed
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 disc paneer cheeseIndian Paneer Cheese
8 cup milk, full fat
1 tsp salt
¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1. Melt butter and add the cumin seed. Toast for a minute or two then add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant. Add the spinach, season with salt and stir until wilted.
2. Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat and add paneer. Fry on one side until golden, about 2-3 minutes and then flip and brown the other side. Toss with the wilted spinach until the paneer breaks into bite-sized pieces.Indian Paneer Cheese
1. Bring the milk and salt to a gentle simmer, just as it boils turn off the heat and stir in the lemon. Rest for 15 minutes or so. Fashion a cloth bag with multiple layers of cheesecloth, line a strainer with it and pour the mixture into the cloth. Tie it off and suspend it over a bowl to drain for several hours.
2. Untie the bag but keep the cheese loosely covered. Place it on a plate and cover with another plate. Place in your refrigerator and weigh down with a jar or two of something relatively heavy. Press for several hours or overnight.
3. Remove from the press and the bag and enjoy your own homemade cheese!
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site