- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
225 grams (1/2 lb) medium ground pork
115 grams (1/4 lb) peeled shrimp, chopped
60 millilitres (1/4 cup) canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
3 green onions, the white parts finely chopped and the green tops reserved
10 millilitres (2 teaspoons) soy sauce
Salt and pepper
30 wonton wrappersFor the Soup
1 ½ litres litres (6 cups) chicken broth
250 millilitres (1 cup) water
30 millilitres (2 tablespoons) fish sauce (nuoc mam)
2 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
250 millilitres (1 cup) thinly sliced mushrooms
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the wrappers. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Place 10 ml (2 teaspoons) of the meat and shrimp mixture in the centre of a wrapper. Moisten the outside border with water. Seal by lifting up the wrapper and squeezing the edges together. Transfer to a baking sheet. Stuff the remaining wrappers.For the Soup
1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, water and fish sauce to a boil. Add the wontons, carrots and mushrooms. Return to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wontons are cooked through, about 6 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
2. Meanwhile, thinly slice the green onion tops on the diagonal. Garnish the soup with the sliced onion tops and serve.
3. Note: If you serve the soup the next day, add chicken broth as necessary.