Directions for: Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs
lb(s) boneless chicken breasts (450 millilitres)
Tbsp minced garlic or garlic paste (15 millilitres)
cup plain full- or reduced-fat yogurt (100 millilitres)
cup garlic chives or regular chives, or scallions, finely chopped (50 millilitres)
tsp black pepper or 1/4 to ½ teaspoon cayenne
Tbsp vegetable oil (30 millilitres)
1 or 2 limes or lemons, cut into wedges
1. Remove skin and discard. Cut chicken into 2- by 2-inch (5- by 5-centimetre) pieces and place in a wide shallow bowl. (In the Subcontinent, where the chickens tend to be free-range and well exercised, the chicken pieces are beaten with the flat of a knife to soften them.)
2. Mix up the marinade in a small bowl, whisking the garlic, greens, pepper, salt, and oil into the yogurt. Pour over the chicken and stir. Set aside in a cool place, covered, to marinate for 1 to 2 hours, whatever is most convenient. Turn pieces after 30 minutes.
3. Preheat a gas or charcoal grill, or the broiler in your oven. Slide chicken pieces onto metal skewers; do not crowd them together. (If you are grilling but don’t have skewers, place chicken pieces on a lightly oiled metal mesh rack.) To grill: Place skewers (or metal rack) on a rack about 5 to 6 inches above the coals or flame. To broil: Place skewers (or chicken pieces) on the lightly oiled rack of a roasting pan. Place the pan about 5 to 7 inches (15 to 18 centimetres) below the broiler element and leave the oven door propped open.
4. The chicken will need eight to ten minutes on each side; turn skewers or chicken pieces over partway and baste them occasionally with a little marinade. Cook until cooked right through.
5. Serve on skewers, or else slide off and serve chicken pieces mounded on a platter. Squeeze on a little lime or lemon juice just before serving.
Appetizer, Summer, BBQ, Lunch, Indian, Main, Barbecue, Yogurt, Dinner, Chicken, Poultry, Grill