Yukon Gold Roasted Garlic Mash with Caramelized Onions
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
2 lb(s) Yukon Gold potatoes (1kg)
1 lb(s) celery root (500g)
1 Tbsp roasted garlic paste (see recipe) (30ml)
½ cup unsalted butter (125ml)
½ cup store bought or homemade creamy Caesar salad dressing (125ml)
1 Spanish or white onion, chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional) (250g)
salt and freshly ground black pepperRoasted Garlic Paste
1 large head of garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil (15ml)
1. In a nonstick skillet melt 2 tbsp butter. Add onions and cook over medium high heat, stirring often, until onions are golden brown and soft, about 15 minutes.
2. Scrub potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. Peel celery root and cut into ½ inch pieces.
3. Cook potatoes and celery root in salted water, until tender about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot over low heat for 1 minute, until potatoes and celery root are dry. Remove from heat.
4. Add roasted garlic paste, remaining butter, salad dressing, onions and mushrooms, if using to mixture. Mash to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
Variation: Saute 1 cup of chopped mushrooms in 1 tbsp of butter until water evaporates. Add to potato mixture.
Tip: Peel potatoes if children do not like the texture or colour of potato skins.Roasted Garlic Paste
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
2. Cut top off garlic to expose garlic cloves. Rub with olive oil and wrap in foil.
3. Bake in centre of oven in a small baking dish for about 45 minutes, until soft. Cool.
4. Squeeze garlic into bowl and mash with fork.
Makes: 1 head about ¼ cup