Nana Slappin' Bread Pudding
- serves 3
Recipe courtesy of Pink Tank.
3 large croissantsCustard
8 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
8 fl. oz. heavy whipping cream
8 fl. oz. coconut milk
1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch saltBread Pudding
1 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp raisins
3 Bread Puddings
9 Tbsp caramel sauce
3 Tbsp walnuts
6 tsp Jamaican rum
1. Tear croissants into small pieces. Lay pieces out on cookie sheet. Toast in oven on low broil until croissants are golden brown. Remove and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400ºF.Custard
1. In a large bowl mix together egg yolks, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a pan over medium heat, combine heavy whipping cream, heavy coconut milk, contents of vanilla bean (cut open vanilla bean, scrape contents) or vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk often to prevent burning. Heat until steaming.
3. Temper the yolks by whisking the egg and sugar mixture, then slowly pour the steaming cream mixture into the bowl.Bread Pudding
1. Butter the inside of three 3-inch ramekins. Evenly distribute croissant pieces into ramekins. Top with a layer of raisins then add custard mixture to the brim of each ramekin.
2. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
3. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
4. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before eating.Flambé (Optional)
1. Dump Bread Puddings into a large frying pan. Over medium heat, combine caramel sauce, walnuts, raisins and Jamaican Rum. Flambé until alcohol is cooked down and enjoy!