Pine Nut Lamb Meatballs with Pasta
- prep time10 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4
Pine nuts, currants, and ground lamb meatballs smothered with a zesty tomato sauce from Roger Mooking.
1 ½ cup ciabatta, crusts removed and shredded
½ cup milk
1 ¼ lb(s) ground lamb
2 shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ½ Tbsp thyme, chopped
1 tsp black pepper
⅓ cup dried currants
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
1 Tbsp olive oil
saltTomato Sauce and Pasta
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 clove garlic, minced
1 sprig rosemary
1 can 796 mL can whole tomatoes
1 bay leaf
500 g fettuccine, cooked according to package directions and drained
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shaved into ribbons with vegetable peeler
¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
1. Place shredded pieces of bread in a small bowl, cover with milk and soak until bread becomes soft, approximately 10 minutes.
2. Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl, including bread, mix thoroughly with hands, careful not to over mix.
3. Form meatballs with hands and place on a large plate or baking tray.
4. Heat oil in a cast iron pan over medium to high heat, add meatballs and fry until meat has browned. Remove from heat.Tomato Sauce and Pasta
1. Heat oil in a large wide mouthed pan over medium to high heat, add garlic and rosemary to infuse oil. Once garlic has caramelized, add tomatoes and bay leaf, stir, season with salt and pepper.
2. Add meatballs to tomato sauce, place in oven for approximately 30 minutes, until tomato sauce has reduced slightly.
3. To serve, place pasta in centre of plate, spoon tomato sauce over and place 6 meatballs per serving.
4. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese.