Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 cups sliced Spanish onions
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Madeira wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper
2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1/2 tsp
1 227g store bought, thin pizza crust
1 cup of Gruyère cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat. Once butter is bubbly and foaming, add the onions and salt. Stir onions to coat in butter and let cook until deep brown and caramelized, about 30 minutes, stirring intermittently.
2. Once onions have caramelized, pour in Madeira wine, stir, and continue to cook until alcohol is evaporated and liquid is fully absorbed into onions, about 1 minute.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Add beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and thyme to onions. Increase heat to medium and cook until stock fully reduces, about 5 minutes. Drain any residual liquid and remove thyme sprigs.
4. Place the caramelized onions over the pizza crust, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Cover onions with Gruyère and sprinkle with Parmesan.
5. Bake in oven until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and garnish with 1/2 tsp fresh thyme.
Looking for more comfort food goodness? Check out our 16 Satisfying French Onion Soup Recipes.