1 vanilla bean
1 ¼ cups whole milk
1 ¼ cups 35% cream
4 egg yolks
½ cup packed brown sugar
3 pecan butter tarts, chopped
8 waffle cones
3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
½ cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
2 butter tarts, quartered
Butter Pecan Swirl
¼ cup corn syrup
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
¼ tsp vanilla
1. Scrape seeds out of vanilla bean. Add milk, cream, vanilla bean pod and seeds saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks; slowly whisk in cream mixture. Return to saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain into a clean bowl; discard vanilla bean pods. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cold, about 1-2 hours.
3. Pour into a 9-inch square metal baking pan; freeze until almost solid, about 1-2 hours. Freeze chopped butter tarts on parchment paper-lined baking sheet until hard, about 1 hour.
Butter Pecan Swirl
1. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt until melted, about 3 minutes. Bring to a boil. Stir in pecans and vanilla; remove from heat and set aside.
2. Assembly: Break ice cream into pieces and puree in food processor until smooth. Transfer blend into a bowl and add in frozen butter tarts. Scrape into 6 cup airtight container. Swirl in butter pecan mixture. Cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
3. Meanwhile, arrange pecans in a shallow bowl. In microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate on medium, stirring once, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Dip top rim of each waffle cone into the chocolate letting excess drip back into bowl. Immediately press chocolate edge into pecans to coat.
4. Scoop ice cream into cones. Garnish each cone with a quarter butter tart. Serve.