Kale Mac and Cheese Cups
- serves 12
Mac and cheese muffins get a health boost with the addition of kale.
500 g elbow macaroni
5 Tbsp unsalted butter
5 Tbsp spelt flour
2 cups milk, warmed
½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 cup shaved Cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups shaved Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ cup panko
1 cup frozen, chopped kale
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a muffin tin.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions.
3. In a medium size saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Once butter is melted, slowly add flour, whisking continuously.
4. Slowly pour the milk into the roux while whisking. Keep adding the milk slowly while whisking. Add the chicken stock and continue to whisk. Cook sauce over medium heat, while stirring, until it begins to thicken, coating the back of a spoon.
5. Remove the pot from the heat and add the cheddar and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Add the mustard. Mix until cheeses have melted and mustard is combined.
6. Add kale, nutmeg and salt; stir until warmed and mixed together, about 2 minutes.
7. Place cooked pasta into a large bowl and mix in cheese sauce, being sure to coat all the pasta. Spoon pasta mix into muffin tins and sprinkle each muffin cup with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and panko.
8. Bake in the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese sauce is bubbling and edges are a golden brown.