Salted Caramel Brownies
- serves 6 - 8
This recipe produces one 10-x-10-inch baking sheet full of rich, chocolate brownies.
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup white sugar
2 cups 34% cream
1 tsp Maldon sea saltBrownie Butter
10 oz high-quality white cooking chocolate
15 oz 60% dark chocolate
½ cup less 2 Tbsp butter
1 cup sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 ⅓ cups flourStout Cream
½ cup stout
2 cups 34% cream
1 cup chocolate
1 tsp salt
Vanilla or fruit-flavoured ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 355ºF.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt together butter and sugar.
3. Without stirring, allow the butter to melt and the sugar to caramelize for about 10 minutes, until sugar turns amber.
4. Remove mixture from heat and carefully stir in the cream and sea salt until smooth.
5. Set caramel aside to cool for 1 hour.Brownie Butter
1. Fill a second saucepan with about 1 inch of water; heat over medium high heat to a simmer.
2. Place a glass bowl into the saucepan, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
3. Transfer dark and white chocolate to the glass bowl and stir well until chocolate is completely melted.
4. Remove chocolate from heat and set aside.
5. To make the brownie batter, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Stir in the eggs, cocoa powder, reserved melted chocolate and flour.
7. Mix by hand for about 10 minutes, until all ingredients are well incorporated.
8. To build the brownie, spread half of the batter into the bottom of a greased brownie pan.
9. Pour caramel over the brownie batter and smooth down with a spoon.
10. Top the caramel with the remaining brownie batter and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
11. Once brownie is done baking, remove from the oven and refrigerate for 5 to 6 hours, to set the caramel.Stout Cream
1. To make the Stout Cream, heat stout and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat until warm.
2. Stir in the chocolate and continue heating for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring well, until sauce is glossy.
3. Finish sauce with a pinch of sea salt.
4. To serve the brownies, trim off the edges and cut into large squares.
5. Top with the Stout Cream and your favourite ice cream – we prefer vanilla.
Special Equipment: 10x10-inch baking pan
Leftover brownies will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Leftover Stout Cream will keep for 3 to 4 days if covered and refrigerated.
Recipe courtesy of Seaneen Sullivan of L. Mulligan Grocer