Spicy Shrimp Grilled Cheese
- serves 4
Amp up your average grilled cheese with the addition of shrimp and a Cajun-style spice blend that packs an awesome kick.
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ Tbsp salt
1 ½ tsp black pepper
8 strips uncooked bacon
12 large shrimp, peeled and butterflied
8 thick slices French bread
8 slices Cheddar cheese
8 slices Provolone cheese
8 slices mozzarella cheese
Special equipment: 3 medium or large pans, one with lid
1. To prepare the Cajun spice blend for the shrimp, stir together salt, sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper; set aside.
2. In a pan, fry bacon to preferred doneness. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside to drain on a piece of paper towel.
3. Heat a second large pan over medium heat; add a drizzle of olive oil.
4. Add shrimp to the pan and season generously with the reserved Cajun spice blend.
5. Stir and cook shrimp over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, flipping occasionally, until shrimp are pink.
6. Once the shrimp are done cooking, heat a third pan over medium heat.
7. Butter one side of each slice of bread and place two slices of bread, butter-side down, into the pan.
8. While the bottom toasts, add one slice of Cheddar, one slice of Provolone, and one slice of mozzarella onto one of the pieces of bread.
9. Add two slices of bacon, three cooked shrimp, and a sprinkle of cilantro to the other slice of bread.
10. Cover the pan with a lid and continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
11. Once cheese has melted, assemble the sandwich, flipping the cheesy slice onto the slice with the shrimp and bacon.
12. Remove sandwich from pan and slice in half.
13. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Courtesy of Nadine Dannenberg of Summit Café