Cool off this summer with a large slice of black sesame coconut cream pie. It has an intense nutty flavour thanks to the black sesame, and is layered with a dreamy coconut filling before being topped off with lots and lots of whipped cream. Long story short: this pie will be your new favourite make-ahead dessert!
Black Sesame Coconut Cream Pie
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Rest Time: 4 hours
Bake Time: 25 to 28 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours, 10 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8 slices
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
4-5 Tbsp ice cold water
Black Sesame Paste
½ cup black sesame seeds
3 Tbsp honey
1/3 cup cornstarch
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 ¼ cup half-and-half
4 large egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
¾ cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 ½ cups heavy cream
4 Tbsp icing sugar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and rub between your fingers to break into small pea-sized pieces.
2. Create a well in the centre and add 4 Tbsp of ice cold water. With your hands, toss the flour until the dough starts to come together. If there are dry bits, add an additional tsp at a time. Form into a disc, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into circle about 1 ½ -inch larger than your pie dish. Tuck the edges under itself and crimp the edges to create a scalloped edge.
4. Dock the crust all over with a fork to create vents, cover with a sheet of parchment and add your pie weights (you can use beans or rice). Bake for 25-28, removing the pie weights after 15 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
5. Grind the black sesame seeds in a spice grinder or food processor until finely ground. Mix in the honey.
6. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar and salt to break up any clumps. Add the coconut milk, half-and-half, eggs and whisk to combine. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Strain through a fine sieve and fold in the shredded coconut.
8. Divide the coconut cream in half. To one-half add 3 Tbsp of black sesame paste and mix until well incorporated. Wrap with plastic directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours.
9. Layer both halves of the coconut cream into the bottom of the cooled pie crust. Add the black sesame cream on top, cover with plastic and chill for another hour.
10. When ready to serve, whip the heavy cream and icing sugar together until firm peaks. Spoon or pipe on top of the pie, sprinkle with toasted coconut and enjoy!