Love the smell and flavour of cinnamon? Then these muffins — a moist yogurt-based vanilla cake with a crumbly cinnamon streusel — are for you. But, wait! There isn’t just a topping of streusel. There’s also a hidden layer inside each muffin to ensure you get a hint of cinnamon in each bite. This recipe will work with both plain or vanilla Greek yogurt, but I highly recommend using the full fat variety for maximum flavour. If the aroma of these muffins cooking doesn’t get you out of bed in the morning, we don’t know what will.
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
¾ cups unsalted butter, melted
¾ cups light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch fine salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tray with 12 liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla and yogurt until well blended.
3. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until ingredients come together.
4. Scoop a heaping Tbsp of the batter into each muffin liner.
5. For the streusel: in a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine. Using your hands, work in the butter until a crumb mixture is formed.
6. On top of the batter already in the muffin tray, sprinkle with a heaping tsp of the streusel mixture.
7. Divide the remaining batter on top of the 12 muffins, followed by the remaining streusel mixture.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Tip: Drizzle with vanilla glaze if desired! To make the vanilla glaze, simply whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp cream and 1 tsp vanilla extract until smooth. If mixture appears thick, add more cream. If mixture appears thin, add more powdered sugar.