One of the first recipes I turn to when the weather starts to shift are these soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies. They have warming spices like ginger, cinnamon and cloves, are dotted with spicy candied ginger and rolled in raw sugar for a bit of crunch. My secret to the rich golden colour? Blackstrap molasses! It’s bold and robust in flavour — everything I want in a ginger molasses cookie. But feel free to swap in regular molasses if your taste buds aren’t quite ready for it.
Soft and Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 12 to 13 minutes
Total Time: 17 to 18 minutes
Servings: 16 cookies
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp water
¼ cup blackstrap molasses
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup (about 10 wheels) diced ginger candies
½ cup turbinado or raw sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, water and blackstrap molasses. Scraping down the sides as needed.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. On low, add the flour mixture to the stand mixer and mix until just combined. Fold in the diced candied ginger.
4. Pour the turbinado sugar in a shallow dish. Scoop the cookie dough into 1 ½ inch balls and roll in the turbinado sugar until completely coated.
5. Place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet to allow the cookies to spread. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes until the tops have slightly cracked. Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.