What are you craving for an afternoon snack? Maybe you love chocolate chip cookies or perhaps your taste buds are looking for something salty — we know how hard it can be to decide sometimes. With these Green Bin Cookies, you don’t have to make the choice because you can have it all! Treat the kids this spring break with these cookies that include all their favourite snacks. They’re also great for cleaning out leftovers from your cupboards!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Yield: 32 Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup large flake oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup broken salted pretzels
1/2 cup mini candy coated chocolate pieces
1/2 cup good quality dark chocolate pieces
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Beat butter with granulated and brown sugars or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time or until well blended. Beat in vanilla.
2. In another bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Stir into butter mixture. Stir in pretzels, candy coated chocolate pieces, chocolate covered raisins and marshmallows. Chill dough for 30 minutes or until firm.
3. Using a 1 ounce (2-inch) scoop, drop 2 inches apart, onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
4. Bake, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden and set, rotating and switching pan halfway through. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely.
– Substitute add-ins with your favourite nuts, dried fruit and candies. Try salted peanuts, butterscotch chips and chopped dates.
Amanda Riva is the host of The Hot Plate, a free online cooking show dedicated to inspiring culinary confidence in new cooks. The Hot Plate also offers regular cooking tips and advice, how-tos, and information on seasonal ingredients. Amanda Riva is part of the Lifestyle Blog Network family.