I absolutely love a Swiss roll — it’s a versatile recipe that’s easy to prepare, quick to bake and easy to fill. You can alter the recipe slightly to have different flavours or fillings, and it is always a satisfying treat. At its core, this airy dessert is a simple sponge cake that’s rolled with jam, or whatever fillings you prefer! And I always like to add a layer of whipped cream in just for good measure.
Swiss Roll with Raspberry Jam and Whipped Cream
6 large eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar plus 1 Tbsp
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
½ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
½ cup raspberry jam
½ cup whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper with overhanging sides.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer on high speed, whisk together the eggs and sugar for 5 to 7 minutes until tripled in volume. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix salt and sifted flour. Fold the flour mixture into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet. Spread into the corners and smooth the top with a spatula. Place in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch.
- Lay a tea towel on the counter and place a piece of parchment paper over top (the same size as your baking sheet). Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over the parchment paper. Flip the Swiss roll onto the parchment paper and peel away the paper from the cake.
- Make a slight indent, 1 cm in from the short end of the cake. Using the parchment paper and tea towel, roll the cake into a Swiss roll while it is still warm. Leave the cake wrapped in the parchment and towel until cool. This makes it easier to roll and fill.
- Once cool, unroll and place an even layer of jam on the bottom of the Swiss roll. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Spread cream on top of jam. Roll up the Swiss roll and slice!