Several pie crust recipes yield enough dough for the top and bottom of a pie, but not all pies require both. When you find yourself with leftover pie dough, don’t let it go to waste. Turn it into a new dessert: cinnamon pinwheel cookies. They taste like mini cinnamon rolls! They’re super simple to make and are so good that you might just find yourself going out of your way to have “leftover” pie dough.
Leftover Pie Dough Cinnamon Pinwheel Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 27 to 30 minutes
Servings: 12 pinwheel cookies
½ batch pie crust, chilled
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch fine salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough into a 12 by 8 inch rectangle.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, cinnamon and salt until well blended.
4. Spread the prepared filling evenly over dough. Tightly roll the dough, beginning from the 12 inch side. Press the seam to seal. Trim and discard the ends, about ½ inch on each side. Cut log into ¼ inch thick slices and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
5. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges begin to brown.