These are not your average breakfast oat muffins. They incorporate an unexpected (and vibrant) ingredient: matcha powder! Hailing from Japan, matcha is a finely ground powder of pure green tea leaves. It can be easily located in health food stores or online. In this recipe, the earthiness from the matcha pairs perfectly with the sweetness from the white chocolate. Your breakfast won’t be so average anymore.
Matcha and White Chocolate Oat Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
1 ½ tsp quality matcha powder
1 Tbsp boiling water
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine salt
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 cup quality white chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-tin muffin tray with liners.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together matcha and water until the matcha is fully dissolved.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt, vanilla and add in the matcha mixture until well blended.
4. Stir in the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger until smooth. Fold in the chocolate.
5. Using a large ice cream scoop, evenly divide mixture amongst the prepared muffin tray.
6. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the muffins bounce back to touch.