Nothing fancy here; just delicious apple pie in a convenient snack-pack size!
Mini Apple Pie Pockets (…or Lollipies if you use popsicle sticks!)
(recipe makes ~ 12, 2.5? pockets)
– 1 extra-large apple; renders ~ 1 1/3 cup after pitted and diced (I used Cortland Apples)
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– 3/4 tablespoon white sugar
– 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
– 1 package ready-made pie dough (I used Tenderflake pie shells, flattened)
+ egg wash
+ cookie cutter
+ parchment paper
1. Peel, core and dice the apple. You’ll want to dice the apple into fairly small pieces, since they will be the filling of a small dessert:)
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, and lemon juice.
3. Mix until combined, and set aside.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350F. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out your pie dough to 1/8? thick. Using your cookie cutter, cut out 24 pieces (12 for the base, 12 for the top)
5. Transfer dough bases on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Drain any liquid from the pie filling and place a spoonful of the pie filling in the center. Brush the edges of the pie pockets with egg wash and gently place another dough cutout on top of the base.
Carefully press the dough to cover the filling.
6. If you want to make lollipies, insert a wooden popsicle stick in the middle (tucked under the filling). Using a pastry roller or a fork, seal the edges of the pie pockets by gently pressing down. Brush the tops of the pockets with egg wash, and poke a small hole in the
center using a toothpick. The purpose of this is to create a little vent for the pies to prevent the pie filling from leaking through the crust by allowing steam to escape from inside the pie.
7. Bake your pie-pockets at 350F for 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool completely before picking them up. Allowing them to fully cool is especially important if you are making lollipies because if they are warm, they will break.
Madalina Paul is the blogger behind Duhlicious, a food blog dedicated to creating and sharing unique and original recipes for great tasting food and featuring tutorials, food news, and culinary adventures.