Don’t let the “cheese” in this “cheesecake” throw you. This baked vegan “cheesecake” provides the same richness and creamy flavour as the original and may even become your new dessert of choice.
Sitting on a homemade maple graham crust is a decadent, delicious no-bake vegan cheesecake filling made from silken tofu. This fully vegan dessert feels rich yet is light, and can be finished with whichever topping you love, we love melted vegan chocolate!
Prep Time: 8 hours 20 minutes (includes cooling)
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours, 45 minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
Homemade Graham Crust
11/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp miller’s bran (not cereal)
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp agave or maple syrup
2 (349 g/12.3 oz) packages silken extra-firm tofu (“silken” texture imperative, do not substitute; available in shelf-stable tetra packs or fresh)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup apple juice
2/3 granulated sugar
1 Tbsp agar agar flakes (Eden Foods makes one readily available)
Homemade Graham Crust
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, bran, cocoa and cinnamon until combined. Mix in vegan butter or oil and agave or maple syrup until fully combined. Firmly press into a 7-inch springform pan.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and beginning to crack on top. Cool completely.
1. In a medium saucepan, bring apple juice, sugar and agar agar to a boil, reduce to medium and cook, stirring a few times, for 5 minutes, or until agar agar flakes are completely dissolved. Keep warm.
2. In a food processor, purée tofu until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Add apple juice mixture, lemon juice and vanilla. Purée until fully combined and pour into prepared crust. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, until set.
3. To serve run a knife around edge of springform pan, unhinge and slice. Garnish with your topping of choice (chocolate, cherry, caramel, etc.). Serve chilled.
Looking for more tasty vegan treats? Check out: 25 Vegan Desserts Even Non-Vegans Will Love.