With fall comes pumpkin spice-flavoured everything and we just couldn’t resist. These light and fluffy vegan pumpkin scones are sweetened with maple syrup and topped with a luscious maple glaze, making them a pretty decadent breakfast or coffee break treat you can feel good about!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
1 ½ Tbsp ground flax
3 Tbsp water
3 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp all spice
7 Tbsp cold coconut oil
1 cup maple syrup
½ cup pumpkin purée
½ cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
½ tsp maple extract
¼ cup whole pecans
1. Pre-heat oven to 425°F
2. Combine ground flax with water and refrigerate for 10 minutes to set and thicken.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sea salt and spices.
4. In another mixing bowl combine maple syrup, pumpkin purée, non-dairy milk and vanilla extract, and set aside.
5. Take 7 Tbsp of cold coconut oil and add to flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the cold oil into the flour until it resembles a crumb-like texture.
6. Add thickened flax mixture into bowl with liquid ingredients and stir to combine.
7. Create a well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour in the liquid ingredients. 8. Fold a few times until the dough just comes together, and then place it onto a lightly floured surface.
9. Using your hands, shape dough into a long rectangle that’s approximately 1 ¼” thick and 4” wide. Make alternate diagonal cuts along the rectangle to cut out 12 triangles.
10. Bake scones on a parchment lined baking sheet for 12-14 minutes.
11. Once the scones are out of the oven, place on a wire rack to cool. Toast whole pecans for a few minutes on a baking sheet to get them golden brown and fragrant and once cool to touch, you can chop them into smaller pieces.
12. To prepare the glaze, mix together with a whisk or hand mixer the powdered sugar, non-dairy milk and maple extract.
13. To glaze the scones, dip the tops into the bowl of glaze and allow excess to drip a little. Place back onto the wire rack (some glaze will drip down the sides). Be sure to sprinkle with chopped pecans right away so they stick and allow them to dry.
14. Store scones in airtight container at room temperature.