We love peach season. There’s an endless amount of things you can create with sweet peaches, but cooking them in a spiced maple whiskey sauce was at the top of our to-do list! We stuffed those spiced whiskey peaches into a fluffy cinnamon roll, topped it with some vegan vanilla icing and made all your sweet food dreams come true.
Prep Time: 30 minutes (plus 4 hours for proofing dough)
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 rolls
For the Dough:
1 packet active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
1 cup warm water (100°F)
¼ cup sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp sea salt
¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
¼ cup all-purpose flour (for rolling out dough)
1 tsp coconut oil (to oil the bowl for proofing)
For the Spiced Peaches:
3 ripe peaches, peeled and diced (approximately 3 cups)
1 cup Spicebox canadian spiced whiskey (or bourbon)
¼ cup maple syrup
For the Filling:
2 Tbsp vegan butter (melted)
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
For the Icing:
1 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp vegan butter (softened)
1 Tbsp non-dairy milk (or water)
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine active dry yeast with warm water and sugar. The water needs to be at a temperature of around 100°F for the yeast to activate, so it’s best to use a thermometer. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes. It should double in size and be foamy at the top.
2. Meanwhile melt your coconut oil over low heat. Ensure the coconut oil is also not heated above 100°F.
3. Combine flour with sea salt in a large mixing bowl. Then, create a well in the middle of the flour and pour the yeast mixture and the coconut oil into it.
4. Fold the dough gently to combine. It should just come together and then you can use your hands to knead it a few times to form a ball.
5. Lightly oil another large mixing bowl with 1 tsp of coconut oil and place the ball of dough in it to proof. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and leave it in a warm dark place for 2 hours. On top of the fridge or in the oven or microwave should be enough to keep any cool draft off of it. The dough will double in size.
6. While the dough is rising, you can prepare the spiced peaches. In a saucepan, heat spiced whiskey, maple syrup and diced peaches over medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and then remove from heat and cool completely.
7. Combine sugar and cinnamon for the filling and set aside.
8. Melt the butter in the pan you want to bake the cinnamon rolls in, and then you can use the residue to grease all sides of the pan.
9. Once dough has proofed, lightly flour a clean dry surface/countertop and roll out the dough to approximately a 16” x 16” square.
10. Leave a 1” edge on one side of the dough free from melted butter and any fillings. This will be the outer edge when you roll the dough up.
11. Brush melted butter on the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly on top, then take the spiced peaches and spread them out on top of the cinnamon sugar.
12. Start at the opposite side of the clean edge and roll the dough into a log shape. Take a sharp knife and cut 12 equal rolls.
13. Place the rolls in the pan leaving a bit of space to the edge of the pan. Cover the pan in plastic wrap and a towel, and allow the rolls to proof in a warm dark place for another 2 hours.
14. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes.
15. Allow the cinnamon rolls to cool for 10-15 minutes and make the icing by combining all the icing ingredients in a small bowl with a hand mixer until smooth.
16. Spread the icing on top of warm cinnamon rolls and serve immediately.