It isn’t Valentine’s Day without a decadent chocolate dessert, and this chocolate and coconut pots de crème recipe is the epitome of all the things we love most about the rich, sugary-sweet confection. Not only are these romantic treats individually portioned, they’re best made in advance, and also happen to be dairy-free thanks to the creamy coconut milk (always opt for canned coconut milk as the carton variety is diluted with water). No matter who you’re treating – yourself, close friends or that special someone – these desserts are worth the indulgence.
Chocolate and Coconut Pots De Crème
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 4+ hours (includes cooling time)
Servings: 4 large or 6 small
2 cups full-fat coconut milk, canned
½ cup granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch fine salt
100 grams quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
Coconut whipped cream, for serving
Dried rose petals, for garnishing
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Boil a pot of water and set aside.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the coconut milk and sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer and remove from heat.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla extract, coconut extract, nutmeg and salt until well blended.
4. Slowly temper in the coconut mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
5. Transfer mixture back to the saucepan and add the chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is fully incorporated.
6. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to ensure a silky custard.
7. Evenly divide custard amongst 4 large (or 6 small) ramekins. Transfer to a baking dish and fill dish with the boiling water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Be careful not to drip any water into the ramekins.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the centre of each custard has set. The centre should still have a little jiggle to it. Remove ramekins from the baking dish and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator. Chill for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight before serving.
9. Top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of rose petals before serving.