Okra is an amazing vegetable, but when you boil or sauté it, the little green veggie gets slimy. Our workaround? We love tossing okra on the grill and giving it a good char! Here we’ve paired it with tomatoes and hanger steak, as well as a zippy hit of lime, for the perfect late-summer salad recipe. Bonus: the whole dish comes together in under 30 minutes. Plus, did we mention there’s steak?!
Charred Okra, Tomato and Hanger Steak Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 hanger steak, 300g
1 tsp canola oil, divided
¼ tsp fine sea salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat BBQ to medium-high (about 400°F). Pat steak dry, brush with ½ tsp of oil then season with salt and pepper.
2. Oil grill. Grill steaks until medium-rare, about 4 minutes per side (or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of steak register 120°F). Transfer to a plate and tent with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice in a medium bowl and set aside.
4. Then slice okra in half lengthwise and toss with remaining ½ tsp of oil in a large bowl. Immediately transfer to the grill cut-side down (if you take too much time getting it on the grill, the okra will become slimy). Grill until tender and charred, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and transfer to bowl with fish sauce-mixture.
5. Add tomatoes to grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until soft and blistered, about 5 minutes. If you are concerned the tomatoes will fall through the grates, you can preheat a cast iron on the barbecue and cook tomatoes in pan. Remove and transfer to bowl with okra.
6. Cut steak, against the grain, into ½-inch thick slices. Transfer to a serving platter or individual plates. Arrange the okra and tomatoes around the steak. Spoon dressing on top.
Like this recipe? Try these crunchy salad ideas for when you’re running low on greens.