Eating grilled corn straight off the BBQ in the summer sun is one of life’s greatest (and tastiest!) pleasures, but how about dressing things up a little with a coconut-lime cream sauce, some chili butter and fresh cilantro. To celebrate National Corn on the Cob Day (June 11), we suggest you take your cobs up a notch with this simple and delicious recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
Coconut Lime Cream:
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp minced shallot
¼ tsp cumin
1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp pickled jalapeno brine (for extra spice add 1 Tbsp finely minced fresh or pickled jalapeno)
2 tsp arrowroot flour
2 tsp water
¼ teaspoon sea salt
6 cobs of corn, husks and silks removed
4 Tbsp vegan butter (melted)
½ tsp chili powder
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, sauté garlic, shallot and cumin in coconut oil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. If using minced fresh or pickled jalapenos, add in with these ingredients.
2. Add coconut milk, lime juice, sea salt and pickled jalapeno brine, and bring up heat to medium to simmer the mixture. Whisk frequently.
3. Once at a simmer, mix arrowroot flour with water in a small bowl and add to the coconut sauce. Whisk constantly for 8 minutes until thickened, and then remove from heat.
4. When you’re ready to grill corn, melt vegan butter and stir in chili powder.
5. Brush the corn with this chili butter once it hits the grill. Baste one or two more times while you grill them on the barbecue for approximately 25 minutes.
6. Serve each corn on the cob with a generous drizzle of coconut lime cream and fresh chopped cilantro on top.
Note: You can prepare the coconut lime cream sauce in advance and refrigerate until you serve the corn. It will thicken even more.