Just when you thought comfort food couldn’t get any better, this bannock pizza crust — from Christa Bruneau-Guenther of Feast Café Bistro — makes for the perfect canvas. It is layered with mouth-watering roasted butternut squash, lots of cheese and a maple chipotle white sauce.
Butternut Squash Bannock Pizza
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 1 large pizza or 4-6 servings
Bannock Dough Pizza Crust
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
¾ tsp yeast
1 Tbsp olive oil (canola oil or vegetable oil)
1 ½ cups warm water
Maple Chipotle Lime Sour Cream White Sauce
¼ cup sour cream
2 tsp mayonnaise
1 tsp chipotle paste (or 1 Tbsp finely minced from a can of chili in adobo sauce)
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice (or use 1 tsp lime juice from concentrate)
Other Pizza Ingredients
½ butternut squash, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil, canola oil or grapeseed oil
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp pine nuts
1 cup shredded mozzarella
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
1. In a large bowl, make the dough: combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Then make a well in the middle of the flour mixture.
2. In a separate bowl, add yeast and oil to warm water and mix with a fork. Gently pour the liquid mixture into the flour hole or well.
3. Using a fork, spoon or hands, fold or work the flour into the water. Knead the dough into a ball, don’t over knead. Let dough sit for 10-15 minutes covered with a kitchen towel.
4. For the sauce: in a mid-sized bowl, mix all ingredients together until well combined. Reserve for later.
5. Pre-heat oven to 400°F and place squash on a baking sheet. Add oil, chili powder and salt, mix well. Scatter squash into a single layer. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until squash is cooked through and soft. Set aside.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out reserved bannock dough with a rolling pin, and place on a sheet pan. Prick dough with a fork.
7. Add white sauce to dough and generously place squash over dough. Sprinkle squash with pine nuts and various cheeses. Bake at 425°F for 15-17 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
8. Remove from heat. Add a smattering of green onions and top with drizzle of white sauce. Enjoy.
This recipe first appeared on an episode of Big Food Bucket List, which you can watch here. Big Food Bucket List streams Live and On Demand on the new Global TV App and on STACKTV. Food Network Canada is also available through all major TV service providers.